Q: Check Engine Light, dealership quoted me for a coolant control valve replacement.

Hello, The dealership ran the code on my check engine light and I have a problem with the coolant control valve. They are quoting me a repair of $650. Is this repair crucial to be done immediately? Are you able to provide a better quote?

Hi there, thanks for writing in. The coolant control valve controls the flow of coolant to the engine, the storage tank, and the heater core. A fault with this valve could prevent proper engine starting and reduce your fuel economy or even cause the engine to stumble, not to mention the lack of heat inside the car during a cold morning.

A code stored that points to the valve does not necessarily mean that the valve has failed; what if the wire is broken that powers the valve? I strongly suggest acquiring a qualified technician to perform an inspection for a second opinion in order to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a Check Engine Light inspection and provide you with a detailed estimate and direction of repair. Good luck.

• Check Engine Light, dealership quoted me for a coolant control valve replacement.