Q: Transmission range sensor bad

asked by on February 13, 2016

I was told that the transmission range sensor is bad and needs to be replaced.

Hi. The transmission range sensor (TR) receives a reference voltage from the transmission control module (TCM). The sensor then varies that voltage according to the position the gear selector (P, R, N, D, 2, 1). In this way, the sensor is used to determine the desired gear and control transmission hydraulic pressure. A TR sensor that is not operating properly will illuminate the Check Engine Light. I may also cause harsh shift engagement, harsh shift feel and a no-start condition. The sensor can be tested using the proper equipment. I suggest you have a trained professional, such as one form YourMechanic, do this for you.