Q: Soft clutch, topped off clutch fluid reservoir and clutch pedal became firm/springing back on its own.

I have 1984 Celica Supra. I felt my clutch losing a pressure so I pulled over in a to check the clutch fluid, the reservoir was almost empty so I topped it off. Admittedly this is the first time, I've checked it since I got it up and running but I had a Yourmechanic Mechanic do work on my alternator last month on 10/13/16 and he said my fluid levels were fine and not leaking. After driving it around in the neighborhood for a few minutes, I felt the pedal become firm again and it was springing back on its own. There was no grinding when I was shifting gears and I didn't need to exert extra effort to get it into gear. Do you think I should still get it bled out? And do you think it is the master or slave cylinder wearing out? Thank you!

It is most common for the clutch hydraulic leak to be from a leaking clutch slave cylinder. You should have the clutch hydraulic system inspected by YourMechanic to see why the fluid is getting low. The fluid gets low anytime there is a leak in the system. You may need to have the clutch slave cylinder replaced. If the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder are both need replaced then it is a good idea to have both the clutch master and slave cylinders replaced together as a pair.

• Soft clutch, topped off clutch fluid reservoir and clutch pedal became firm/springing back on its own.