Q: My Check Engine Light came on and my car rattles horribly.

I was just wondering what you thought my issue could be. I was driving home when I noticed the rattle and not long after my check engine light came on. It rattles pretty bad now when I let it idle. I was curious as to what you thought it could be but my first thought after a bit of research was the catalytic converter.

A: The catalytic converter will definitely cau...

The catalytic converter will definitely cause a rattling sound when it is worn out or needing to be replaced, which will also cause your Check Engine Light to come on. There are small honeycomb like pieces inside the converter that can become brittle over time and will break and rattle around. If you need further help, I would recommend having a certified technician diagnose the Check Engine Light and rattling noise to verify the problem and move forward with repairs.