Q: Starts then dies.

asked by on December 23, 2016

I have a volkswagen passat 2002 b5.5 1.8t that runs sometimes then not. I have replaced the following: fuel pressure regulator, mass air flow, coolant temp sensor, fuel pump relay, intake air temp sensor, pulled the fuel pump and checked good and checked connections. When the car is scanned the only code that shows is C0759 Chasis Ground. It will run fine sometime and sometimes not seems to be when car is warm been driving for a while. I can wait 20 min. while cranking on and off and eventually it will run for a shorter time. I am down to wiring to the fuel pump or crank sensor or other but rpms show when cranking so I have been told crank is good from that. Any info you have would be great the cars has a good battery and new alternator that have both been tested. I have also inspected the wiring going into the ecm no corrosion found have not tested wiring through the rest of the car. I have also ran a battery cable as a ground from the frame of the alternator to the negative battery.

Car starts and then dies Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello there, many common problem will cause your 2002 Volkswagen Passat to start the die and have the check engine light illuminated. You have done well in diagnosis so far and in replacing common failure components. Before any more parts are replaced the vehicle will need a full diagnosis to ensure the right parts are replaced. With the C0759 code the most likely causes are a failing wiring harness, poor electrical connection, faulty ground, or a shorted wire. All of these issues can be intermittent and difficult to diagnose. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your vehicle starts then dies and make any repairs required.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr