Q: Cable connecting instrument cluster and shift indicator is cut on a 1988 F-150 XLT Lariat

I have a 1988 F-150 XLT Lariat. However, the previous owner cut the cable that connects instrument cluster with the shift indicator. Is there anything I can do to fix that or find the part?

If you cut the cable that goes to the shift indicator, just see where he cut it. All the wires are color-coded so you can replace them together and get them back in. But the reason he cut them is--there’s probably a short somewhere.

Let’s face it--the shift indicator isn’t that big of a deal since it will only allow you to see that lights are on, but you might just leave it alone. But if you do want to fix it, you can always go to a salvage yard and they will generally sell you the whole wiring harness part cheaply enough and then you can buy certain sections of the wire harness. If the switch inside, the shifter is bad, you can buy a used one of those too. If you would like to have this done for you, consider YourMechanic. They will be able to come to your home or office to replace your shift indicator for you.

3. Cable connecting instrument cluster and shift indicator is cut on a 1988 F-150 XLT Lariat