Q: Gas sensor not working; car stalled in intersection

asked by on September 26, 2016

The gas sensor in my car has not been working. In the middle of a busy intersection, it stalled and the gas tank was registering ¼ tank full. Fortunately, no major collision occurred. This is the third time this has happened with my car’s stalling in traffic. The fuel module is not working correctly. The Mercedes dealership has been doing all the repairs and they have replaced the system twice. However, there is still a continual smell of gasoline. What needs to be done in order to totally repair my car?

The fuel tank on your vehicle is under the rear passenger seat. There are 2 fuel pumps in the tank, each with a large seal, that must be installed perfectly to avoid fuel/fume leakage. Mercedes is aware of this issue so you may want to bring this issue up once more with them. Have a professional mechanic check all the connections to the fuel system, including the seals under the seat for a less-than-perfect seal.