Q: P0012 and P0299. Can't get power when I accelerate and rpms goes high when the gears kick in.

P0012 and P0299. Can't get power when I accelerate and rpms goes high when the gears kick in.

Hello and thanks for contacting Your Mechanic. The code P0012 means that the camshaft timing sensor is reading the camshaft is retarded. The code P0299 means that the turbo has excessive low output. Your turbo will not spool up correctly if the engine is not producing the proper power. It seems that the camshaft sensor is not registering causing the computer to fire the injectors and ignition based on the crankshaft sensor only. This makes a loss of power and makes the vehicle accelerate slowly. The camshaft sensor also is tied into the transmission to determine camshaft speed when shifting. In default, the transmission shift points will be delayed. I recommend checking the harness plug connection for any moisture or debris on the contacts. Also, if the contacts are clean, I recommend replacing the camshaft sensor and then clearing the codes. The problem should go away. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

• P0012 and P0299. Can't get power when I accelerate and rpms goes high when the gears kick in.