Q: Car shuts off, the engine runs in park

I was stopped in the traffic a few days ago, when my car shut off. I restarted it and after putting it into drive, the car shut off again. I attempted to restart it several times more, until it eventually started in drive. The fuel pump has been replaced along with the fuel filter. The car shuts off in neutral and reverse as well. The engine keeps running when I put it in park. What might be the problem with my car?

A: Hi! You may be experiencing an issue caused...

Hi! You may be experiencing an issue caused by the idle air control, the fuel injector, or EGR valve. If the engine runs fine while driving down the road, but won’t idle, then thats different than it running bad all of the time. A technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can inspect the stalling issue by checking those specific systems I mentioned above that affect idle quality. Sometimes a bit of maintenance, such as cleaning the throttle body will take care of idle problems. Best of luck!

Recommended services
Get a Quote