Can't find the Fuel Pump Relay on a 2003 Ford F-250 SD 5....

Q: Can't find the Fuel Pump Relay on a 2003 Ford F-250 SD 5.4L

asked by on October 27, 2017

I am receiving a code error on my 2003 F250 that I have a lack of power at the Fuel Pump. The Fuel Pump does not power on, and the truck will not start. I have had the Truck stall out 2 or 3 times in the last 6 months with the same issue, but the Check engine light always went away and had no trouble for 2 months at a time. This time the light hasn't gone away and the Truck won't start at all. I believe it is a bad Fuel Pump Relay, but no one seems to be able to describe which Relay it is. I would be happy to replace it, but can't find it.

The fuel pump relay is behind the radio in an enclosure. To access the relay the radio must be removed. With a wiring diagram, you should be able to do some diagnostics to determine if, in fact, the relay is faulty, likely without removing the radio. In any event, if that is not done, once you do get to the relay it has to be tested prior to condemning it. A mechanic would not "automatically" replace the relay, unless he or she happened to have one in hand for testing purposes. Often the relay will be identical to other relays and you can perform a quick substitution in lieu of a test. If you desire, you can request an electrical components diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will diagnose the fault and get it resolved. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.