Q: Feels like a broken shifter cable

No symptoms leading up to parking just before it began. Parked car then returned.. Started normally, but gear shift arm freely travels to every gear without engaging drive train. Shifts between 2- 4 WD, traction control normal.

This is definitely related to a shift linkage which is likely broken or loose. Sometimes the shift linkage bushings wear out and will cause this problem. There is a repair kit out on the market for this that is relatively inexpensive to purchase. However, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose the issue with your gears for an accurate repair.

3. Feels like a broken shifter cable