Q: Key won't turn in ignition to start car. Silence...desperation....

Got in the car as usual, put key in ignition but it would not turn - took the key out - inserted it again - would not turn - so unexpected no warning light, nothing in manual about this - no remedy- no other trouble with the car since I've owned it - no experience of this in other cars owned over the years - don't know what to do - it's Sunday now - can't get help locally - but will see if AAA can help

In the meantime please can you relay helpful solution - will be so grateful if the car can start - I live too far from market or anywhere to be able to walk (or hike) there - have been trying to solve this for several days Thank you, thank you

Hello. If the key will not turn in the ignition, then either the key is bad or there is a problem with the key lock cylinder. Most of the time, this is caused by a failure in the key lock cylinder. One of the teeth may have failed to move properly causing the key to move be able to turn the ignition. I always try a spare the key first if there is one. If that does not help, then the key lock cylinder may need to be replaced. I always check the simple stuff such as the battery and also make sure that the shifter is in the correct position. If you need to have this starting problem examined, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.