Q: My car won't start after cold weather

asked by on May 31, 2016

We just had some really cold weather and I didn't drive my truck for a few days. I tried to start it last night and get all the ice off, but when I did it started up really rough. It chugged a few times before finally starting. This morning when I went to leave, it was the same thing: chugged and chugged after a couple of cranks, but finally started. I stopped to get gas, and when I went to leave, it wouldn't start up at all. It would chug a bit, but then it made a repeated rapid clicking noise. My lights work, but it wouldn't turn over. A coworker stopped at the same gas station and gave me a jump start, and it started right up. Could this be a problem with the battery because of the cold temperatures, or something else?

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The most likely cause for this is that the battery went bad, especially if it is more than about three years old. Some cheap batteries are only good for a couple of years. Have the battery and charging system checked once you put in the new battery to make sure the charging system is working to recharge the battery. If you need help with this, a certified mechanic can diagnose your battery firsthand and fix your starting problem.