Q: I own a Cadillac 2012 SRX whose driver-side headlight is dimmer than the passenger side.

I own a Cadillac 2012 SRX whose driver-side headlight is dimmer than the passenger side. Due to the brightness difference it has failed state inspection. I have a HID system. One repair station replaced the headlight bulb without any change in the dimness phenomena. Any idea before I pay for an out of warranty disassembly diagnostics? Since the fuse is ok, could it be a ballast failure or circuit problem? Any ideas? A 2010 Cadillac SRX had a recall for the same issue. Is Cadillac avoiding the same recall for this model year?

Hi there. With having one headlight dimmer than the other and having the light bulb replaced with a new bulb and still having the same result, then I recommend replacing the ballast resister for the headlight that is dimmer. This is similar to having a light going out in a house, when the ballast resister becomes ineffective, then the light naturally dims out as the current drops. If you need further assistance with your headlight being dimmer than the other, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.