Q: Engine runs, but car doesn't accelerate?

Engine runs, but when I push the gas pedal, the car doesn't get accelerated. It runs like it is in D but without pushing the pedal. The wheels doesn't have power. But the RPM goes high. If i push the gas pedal in neutral, the sound of the engine is not as high as normal. Before, when I push the pedal, it used to make a noise, and RPM would go around 6-7, but now only goes around 3-4. This issue happened first time when I stopped in the block, and accelerated so hard, and while acceleration it stopped running. I barely pulled over the car, stopped the engine, waited like 10 minutes, then it started working again and I got home safe. I took it to mechanic, and mechanic did some kind of computer diagnostics and told me that it some kind of sensor which does something when I press the gas ped. Replaced for $400. After replacing that sensor, car run OK for about 5-6 hours. Now it doesn't. Broken again. Engine light is on. I wanted to talk to you guys before I go to THAT mechanic again.

Knowing the results of the computer diagnosis as well as the part that was replaced can be helpful in assisting you with your Pontiac G3. It is possible the part that was replaced is defective and may need to be replaced. Based on what you described with your vehicle, it appears that you may be experiencing transmission issues.

The engine should never be revved up to six to seven thousand RPMs when the vehicle is not moving, as this can cause damage to the vehicle’s components. Because the information provided is a little unclear, it is hard to determine if you are having concerns with your transmission or if the problem lies with the engine itself.

If you don’t trust going back to the same mechanic that worked on your car originally, get yourself a second opinion and enlist the help of one of our certified mechanics who can diagnose why the Check Engine Light is on as well as determine why your Pontiac is not accelerating. They will also be able to assist you with the repairs needed to get your G3 up and running again.

3. Engine runs, but car doesn't accelerate?