Q: My brake pedal is rock hard and extremely hard to press to get the car to stop...what might be wrong with it?

asked by on March 29, 2017

I drove my car to the airport Friday and when I got back on Monday I found out that my brakes had suddenly become extremely hard to depress almost to the point that it's hard to come to a complete stop...they were completely fine on Friday. What could be causing this? Is it the brake booster or possibly the booster vacuum pump? Or even maybe a vacuum line to the pump itself

Brake Pedal is hard to push Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Your supposition is a reasonable one. That is, if there is no mechanical or hydraulic fault with the brake components, then the power assist is probably not working. The booster could be leaking, the internal valving defective, a bad check valve and/or something as simple as a disconnected vacuum line could be causing the problem. If you like, please request a brake assist diagnostic and repair and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.