Q: Grinding noise in park truck wont move

Driving down highway heard a clunk truck stopped driving and grinds in park like the park pin is engaging transfer case?

A: From what is provided it definitely appears...

From what is provided it definitely appears that your Dodge Ram has suffered damage in the transfer case. From my experiences working with transfer cases, most transfer case problems can be resolved with a rebuild. There is a known weakness with the shifter fork found in the transfer case of Dodge Rams and this may be what your truck is experiencing.

I feel the best solution for this situation is to look around for a quality transmission shop to inspect the transfer case as well as the drive train. This is a major repair job that would be difficult to do anywhere else but an automotive shop. A reputable transmission and drive line specialist can give you a quote for the removal of the transfer case, including disassembly and inspection of the components.

Once inside the transfer case the damage can be assessed and repairs can move forward. Providing parts are readily available, this job will take a busy shop three to five days to complete. I find it helpful to find the top three businesses in my area that can help me and start with phone calls before deciding to tow your vehicle to a shop. Sometimes it’s even a good idea to drive down there first to discuss your vehicles situation.

However, if you feel like you need a second opinion on this, feel free to contact a certified mechanic who can diagnose the source of the noise firsthand and at your own convenience.