Q: when i press on the brake pedal the car accelerates why does this happen?

on the odd occasion I press down on my brake pedal and the car revs up and takes off but when I let go of the brake and repress it starts to slow down, it feels like the brake pedal becomes the accelerator. as I say it only does it now and again not all the time. it is a fiat punto 2002, it is not in the list below

This has come up several times over the years with other cars. It was said to have happened with Audi in the 1980’s and Toyota in the 2000’s. In each case, when investigated, it has usually come down to poor design of the floor space around the pedals makes it easy to press the wrong pedal. I have experienced it myself with my Toyota Tundra in that I would accidentally engage the accelerator with the side of my boot while I was pressing the brake pedal. The results were alarming. With the car parked, look at the floor space around the pedals and try placing your foot on the brake, (do it with the engine running so the brake pedal will be at the height it is while the car is moving) see if it’s possible that you are engaging the accelerator with any part of your shoe at the same time. If you decide that it is impossible that you are making the mistake, you need to take the car to the dealer and make a big deal of it. You might need to contact the NHTSA and alert them to the problem. If it turns out that other people are having this issue they will probably want to initiate a recall.

3. when i press on the brake pedal the car accelerates why does this happen?