Q: Engine running rough

The ABS light comes on while driving, and the engine is running rough.

A: Hello! The running rough symptom on your pa...

Hello! The running rough symptom on your particular vehicle is commonly caused by a clogged or faulty VCT (Variable Control Timing) solenoid. The solenoid uses oil pressure to determine if the timing needs to be adjusted. The oil is filtered through the sensor by a screen and the screen becomes clogged overtime which hinders the sensor from getting a proper reading. The sensor then adjust the timing in unnecessary ways which will cause the engine to run rough.

If the sensor is determined not to be a fault then the rough running could be caused by a leaking vacuum line or aged spark plugs. The ABS (Anti-lock Brake System) light will be accompanied by a numeric code. I suggest that a technician retrieve the code from the ABS module because the code will help pinpoint the ABS issue. I recommend that the brake system is inspected by a certified mechanic. It is always best to have the brake system serviced by a brake ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.