Q: Car runs rough and had sudden power loss

My turbo 2x2 car had sudden power loss; here is what happened: The electronic dashboard and all gauges were working fine when I purchased it used. It runs rough because of dirty injectors and also because it had just been parked a while. It is a project car. After arriving where I was going, I parked the car. When I returned to it and started back home, the digital dash was not working, nor any of the gauges. There was power because the engine was running; however, there was a sudden loss of power. I am hoping that it is a minor problem like a blown fuse or a loose wire. Would you please tell me where to start looking to find the cause, so I can fix my car?

A: Hi there, thank you for asking about your 1...

Hi there, thank you for asking about your 1983 Nissan 280ZX. It is actually possible that it is a fuse issue. However, the fuse holder is on the circuit board for the digital dash and is a bit sensitive. If you’re good with desoldering and soldering circuit boards, then you can go ahead and replace the blown fuse yourself. Otherwise, you may need to find a rebuilt unit or use analog gauges. You can also have a mobile technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office and replace the blown fuse for you.

Recommended services
Get a Quote