Q: Car only runs 10 minutes before overheating - 1994 Acura Vigor

Recently my car has been overheating a Lot! It will only run for about 10 minutes before it begins to overheat. I have to put water in it each time I drive it. I have looked and did not find any oil on the radiator cap. A friend told me that he thinks it is the thermostat causing the overheating. He said that if it were the head gasket, then oil would be on the radiator cap. What is wrong with my car?

A head gasket can fail in a few ways and yes one will leak oil into the cooling system. A technician can check coolant flow with a temperature gun by taking temperatures at opposite ends of the hoses and engine block. Lack of coolant flow can point to a blockage or a failed water pump. If you would like, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to definitively diagnose your overheating issue and make necessary repairs.

3. Car only runs 10 minutes before overheating - 1994 Acura Vigor