Q: I have a 2006 Volvo s40 that is getting stuck in neutral. If you shift quickly in one motion it will go into drive. When you shi

I have a 2006 Volvo s40 that is getting stuck in neutral. If you shift quickly in one motion it will go into drive. However, When you shift from drive to park it stops and gets stuck in neutral. I can manually move the lever on the side and it shifts. I replaced the shift sensor but it did not help

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi Kyle. Thanks for contacting us today. Typically, this type of issue is caused by either a faulty brake switch, debris in the shifter housing, internal transmission problems or a faulty shift interlock mechanism. The first thing I’d do is verify that your brake lights are working properly to rule out the brake switch and remove the shifter housing to inspect for debris. If everything checks out ok, it might be a better idea to have a professional mechanic complete an on-site inspection to determine if this is a mechanical issue with the shifter or internal problem.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr