Q: What’s the proper way to disconnect the battery

asked by on December 15, 2015

What’s the proper way to disconnect the battery

In normal operation, your battery should recharge while the engine is running (the alternator should supply all the power needed). However, if the car has set for some time, it’s possible that the battery may be low. To charge it, you’ll first need to disconnect it. Here’s what you need to do:

1. Disconnect the battery hold down (the metal bracket on top of the battery).

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable (black).

3. Disconnect the positive battery cable.

4. Remove the battery.

Tips

• Always disconnect the negative cable first to avoid potential discharge.

• Always reconnect the negative cable last to avoid potential discharge.