Q: The ABS and Parking light signal in the dashboard of my car what are the meaning

asked by on July 13, 2017

The lights signal ABS and parking are on the dashboard while driving. What exactly means that warning?

ABS Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote
ABS Speed Sensor Replacement $108.10 - $630.75 Get a Quote
Brake Light Switch Replacement $90.34 - $179.27 Get a Quote

The abs and parking brake lights coming on typically indicate a fault in the anti-lock braking and/or the traction and stability control systems system. These systems rely on a variety of sensors and switches for input. For instance, wheel speed sensors tell the abs and traction/stability control unit how fast each wheel is spinning. When you press the brake pedal, the brake light switch tells these systems that you have applied the brakes. So if any of the wheel speed sensors indicate that a particular wheel or wheels, are moving slower than the rest, it will interpret those wheels have locked up and reduce braking pressure to those wheels to get them spinning again. The wheel speed sensors can also tell the traction/stability system that the vehicle may be out of control or sliding. It can then apply braking to an individual wheel in an attempt to bring the vehicle back under control. Other sensors like the steering angle sensor also tell the control units what direction the wheels are pointing. Any one of these or other sensors or switches can be the cause of the fault light to come on. A certified technician can inspect these systems to determine what is the exact cause and replace any part or parts necessary.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr