Q: Power steering, engine, and brakes quit, but lights work

Even though my car had a full tank, it felt like it was running out of gasoline. The power steering stopped working and the engine quit. Also, the brakes failed to work. My flashers do work, so I'm assuming that means that the battery isn't dead. I had to have the car towed to a repair shop. In your professional experience, what could be causing these failures?

A few different faults can cause the vehicle to stall out like this. The most common would be the ignition switch, battery, fuel pump, fuel filter, or battery cable. The brakes will work without the engine on but they loose the vacuum assist. I would have a certified pro, such as one one from YourMechanic, come to your car’s location to diagnose your vehicle’s loss of power in order to determine what repairs should be done.

3. Power steering, engine, and brakes quit, but lights work