Q: Check Engine Codes P0014 and P054A

Check Engine Light has come on. Had oil change done this past Saturday, and they put my truck on the code scanner. Initially came back with 2 unidentifiable codes. Took truck to O'Reilly's Auto Parts last night and had it rescanned. 2 confirmed codes. P0014 and P054A. Both appear to relate to exhaust timing. How critical is this, and what should be my next course(s) of action? Truck shows, (to me), no other "symptoms" that I read about. No start hesitation, no decrease in mpg... in fact it's improved slightly.

Appreciate your advice in advance.

Both Codes refer to a problem with the variable valve timing mechanism. The issue could be mechanical (basic timing is off), hydraulic (VVT relies on engine oil pressure), or electrical (there are solenoids, wiring, terminals). Regardless of the issue, there are only a limited number of components involved and some items, such as the solenoid and associated control circuit, are straightforward to diagnose. Something like this has to be resolved though for two reasons: 1) the malfunction does degrade engine efficiency; and 2) if the check engine light is constantly on due to the presence of a fault, any occurrence of new or additional faults, elsewhere in engine controls, will essentially be invisible to you because the check engine light is always on anyway. In other words, you want the check engine light off, so that you can be alerted to problems. To get the VVT issue resolved, a check engine light diagnostic is performed during which a certified mechanic from YourMechanic retrieves the codes from the PCM (that is, the specific codes that have caused the light to set) and then methodically tests the appropriate individual vehicle components or sub-systems to pinpoint the underlying fault. Once the faulty part or component is identified, it is explained to your satisfaction and the mechanic will let you know of the cost to repair. If you schedule the recommended diagnostic, the mechanic will resolve this promptly for you and all on a mobile basis right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you get the best possible results.

These codes are for the exhaust camshaft sensor or camshaft alignment issue. There is a long pinpoint test that needs to be done to try and verify if the sensor, wiring or camshaft solenoid is the issue. If the codes are cleared and do not return then continue to drive until light comes on again if it does. If it does then the pinpoint test should be done to isolate the cause.

3. Check Engine Codes P0014 and P054A