Q: radiator and overflow full, car is steaming but not overheating according to indicator gauge. can i drive it?

asked by on December 25, 2017

Radiator and overflow full, not overheating according to gauge but steam comes out

Hi Ronda. Thanks for contacting us today. It’s quite possible that your thermostat or coolant temperature sensor is what is causing this issue. If the gauge is malfunctioning, it will cause the coolant to run hotter than it should, creating the steam you’re seeing and beginning to overheat the engine. As such, I wouldn’t recommend driving the vehicle until you’ve had a chance to have a professional mechanic complete an onsite inspection. If the vehicle is overheating and the issue gets worse, it can cause serious engine damage.