Q: My vehicle stalls while driving at 50-60 mph after running 10-15 minutes. Restarts immediately on start up.

asked by on December 31, 2016

Have had the car since new 19 years! There was the same problem when driving around 50-60 mph and stalling whilst driving after 3 months of ownership from new but this was a recall issue to do with the ECM and no problem since. Could this be a faulty CrankShaft Position sensor?

Car is Jaguar XJ8 V8 3.2

Hi there. Check the ignition coils and see if they are getting hot. Also, check the spark plugs and wires and see when the last time they were replaced. Old spark plugs will rust up causing a resistance and a hesitation. This can result in making the engine stall out at highway speeds. If the ignition coils, spark plugs, and plug wires are all good, then check the crankshaft position sensor for any damage or out of adjustment. Replace the sensor if its not working properly. If you need further assistance with your engine stalling, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr