Q: Changed alternator and battery, but still says check charging system

asked by on October 07, 2016

Changed my battery a few weeks ago when my car died. Check charging system came back up. AutoZone said it was the alternator. I changed that also. Now two weeks later the message is back. What is it?

Battery will not hold a charge Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello and thank you for writing in!

This is likely a sign of a bad voltage regulator. This is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery from the alternator. When this is not functioning properly, this can cause the battery to be over or undercharged by the alternator and will cause this light to come on. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose and service your car’s charging system.