Q: Backup lights don't work. Replaced a bad backup switch. When put in reverse the fuse blows.

asked by on March 13, 2017

I pulled the bulbs from the tail lights and there is a green and black wire. I believe the green is hot and the black is ground. Using a multimeter, both wires show they are connected to the ground. I checked the fuse box and both sides of the fuse show they are connected to ground. I believe there might be a positive wire somewhere touching ground. When I put the shifter in reverse the fuse blows.

When the reverse light switch was replaced and the fuse burns instantly when the reverse lights come on, then there is a direct short with the reverse light circuit. Check all of the wiring from the reverse light switch to the reverse lights. If there is a short to another circuit, then the wiring will need to be repaired. If the wiring is good, then either the reverse light base is shorted out with the brake lights, tail lights, or the turn signal lights. If you need further assistance with your reverse light issue, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.