Q: Key must be turned 20 times for car to start

My car was purchased used and on the dealer’s notes there was the statement that there were not any electrical problems. It also stated that the car ran smoothly. When I test drove it, these comments were true; however, four times now my car has not started and it is an ongoing problem. There are times when it takes “20” turns of the key before it will start. Just yesterday my car stopped while driving on the road. Fortunately it did restart that time and I was able to drive home. Now, today, the car will not start. What is your advice for what needs to be done to get my car in good running performance?

A: Hi there. You would need to check the fuel ...

Hi there. You would need to check the fuel pump relay and fuel pressure from both fuel pumps (yes, there are 2). The pumps fail in an erratic fashion as you describe which may be why you are experiencing intermittent issues. If the fuel system checks out okay, the engine management computer should be checked out, but this unit fails far less often than the fuel supply components. If you would like a professional to scope out the problem for you, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the stalling issue.