Q: My car needs to have its brake pads changed and has a crank sensor problem

My car has been having problems breaking. It needs to break pads changed. It also has a crank sensor problem. It would stall sometimes when I would go to start it but then runs normally when I would drive it. Today while driving, the engine started to shutter and just stopped completely in the middle of the road. While trying to start it again the stalling continued and got worse. I know I need to fix both issues. I wanted to know how much it would cost to get it fixed and would it be possible for you guys to do it instead of bringing it to another location? I fear that it would shut down completely again in the middle of nowhere.

Hi there. Before we assume the root cause of the problem, there needs to be a proper diagnosis performed. There is nothing more costly than replacing parts that are not needed or a misdiagnosis resulting in unnecessary parts being replaced. There are numerous things that could cause the stalling of the vehicle from a loose wire harness connector to the internal mechanical components of the engine. For the brake concern, you need to consider the type of symptoms the car is showing. Simply replacing the brake pads does not correct all the possible issues a vehicle could have - there could be lines, rotors, master cylinder, ABS, caliper, or suspension concerns that are affecting the braking performance. A proper diagnosis of both of your concerns via a qualified technician is your best bet. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car stalling inspection and a brake safety inspection to help pinpoint the faults and assist with needed repairs.

• My car needs to have its brake pads changed and has a crank sensor problem