Q: I have 1971 jeepster commando that keeps getting really hot quick. Thermostat changed new radiator hose and new coolant

asked by on May 28, 2017

My jeepster is overheating. Replaced thermostat and radiator hose. New belt plus new 50/50 coolant.

It ran fine for the last year. Overheated one day and now can't diagnose problem.

Water pump is not spitting or leaking and radiator doesn't leak either.

Any thoughts. I'm afraid to flush it because that might bring more problems with the radiator

Hi there. It’s likely that the radiator is the actual problem. Over time, the interior of older radiators will corrode and cause rust and other materials to break off and cause obstructions inside the coolant system. This can impede the water pumps ability to efficiently flow coolant through the system. It’s also possible that your heater core is clogged up with debris, causing this issue. Here is a quick test to confirm this. Start your Jeep and turn the heater on full blast. Wait about five minutes, if you don’t feel heat coming from the heater vents, your issue is with the heater core. If you need help diagnosing your problem, please feel free to set up an engine is overheating inspection.