Q: I have a ton of white smoke from my truck when i start and run it, is that likely a head gasket problem?

I had a leak in my radiator at the bottom cap so I replaced the leak, there wasn't much radiator fluid in it when I emptied the old radiator. When I started running it again sometimes i have a misfire as it's warming up and there's a lot of white smoke. I start to drive and it billows out the back. Is this a head gasket problem?

Hello there, many faults will cause white smoke to be seen on startup with your 1988 Toyota Pickup. When white smoke it seen it indicates that coolant is being burned in the engine, this is not a normal operation. There are a few common causes for coolant being burned such as intake manifold leaks, head gaskets, or cracked cylinder heads. All of these have the potential to become large issues and if the vehicle overheats it can damage the engine. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your white smoke issues and make any repairs required.

3. I have a ton of white smoke from my truck when i start and run it, is that likely a head gasket problem?