Q: Can i bolt a sheet of wood underneath my car to prevent rust?

asked by on February 16, 2017

I live in New York state, so cars are always getting torn up by rust and salt damage. I noticed that most cars are open underneath, with a lot of exposed metal.

Is it safe to bolt a sheet of wood underneath to try and prevent some of that damage?

Hello, and thank you for writing in. Wood absorbs water, and due to that physical trait, you should not use wood to help prevent rust damage. This will instead hold the moisture close to the metal components and influence them to rust faster. This type of maintenance has more to do with prevention. You should look into chemical sprays that you apply to the bottom of the vehicle that keep water off of the metal surfaces. Another common way to handle this is to use a quality vehicle wax twice a year. This is more for the body and where it attaches to the frame. Use a separate spray for the bottom of the vehicle. If road salt is commonly used in your area, you will want to make sure it gets washed off as soon as possible. Even rinsing the vehicle after it gets a light coating of road salt will help dramatically. If you already have some rust damage, you should remove that rust and treat it so that it stops the corrosive damage. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment, we would be happy to take a look.