Q: Steering wheel is hard to turn whenever I slow down turning a corner and when stopped.

asked by on October 21, 2016

Okay so I've replaced the PS reservoir and just got the high reassure switch replaced because of leaks. But when testing whether my power steering would be better it wasn't, it has the same issue, power steering gets really stiff and becomes hard to turn the steering wheel. I wanted to know whether the pump is going bad and need to be replaced ? & how can I get that diagnosed to make sure that's the issue that way I can get it fixed asap. Please help.

In order to test the power steering pump you’ll need to produce the correct amount of pressure. A mechanic would need to do a high pressure test to get the pressure of the pump. You may have a bad power steering pump or a bad rack and pinion. If the pump is pumping the correct pressure then the rack is leaking internally and would need replaced. To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I recommend having one of our mobile technicians diagnose your hard steering condition at your home or office.