Q: Car stalls and oil pressure light flickers replaced ocv why is this happening

asked by on September 14, 2017

My car stalls when stopping and oil pressure light flickers already replaced oil control valve what else could it be

Idle Control Valve Replacement $147.54 - $995.01 Get a Quote

The oil pressure light may flicker anytime the engine drops below a certain RPM level due to the lack of normal oil pressure. If the oil pressure sensor was recently replaced, this should eliminate the sensor as a potential problem. The issue of stalling when stopping is usually related to the idle air control valve. The idle air control valve monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds and at idle. This valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer and will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage. This is also an important function when starting the motor as it allows the motor to run and idle on it’s own once the motor fires. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed with the help of the idle air control valve making the transition from a higher RPM back down to idle speed while adjusting the air/fuel ratio constantly to allow this to happen smoothly. When the engine RPM drops below the normal range of about 750-800 RPM, this often times will cause the engine to stall indicating a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr