Q: Car makes clacking noise.

asked by on April 23, 2016

When I put the car in gear and acellerate the car sounds fine but when I take my foot of the pedal I hear a loud clacking noise coming from the engine. And when I press the brakes it makes a loud pulsing grinding noise with a little sqeak to it.

Brake System Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Noise from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

With these symptoms it sounds like you have two different problems. Firstly, the clacking noise on deceleration is most likely the turbo control valve flapping, which may have a bad valve.

The noise when pressing on the brakes means that the brakes are grinding, metal to metal, so you may need to replace the rotors and pads. A problem with the calipers would also cause what you’re describing with the breaks. You should have a mechanic come out to diagnose your break system, pinpoint the noise in your engine, and make the necessary repairs.