Q: Car died when driving after it struggled to accelerate.

asked by on October 05, 2017

Driving to work my car changed gears and then it shuddered and i noticed the Check engine light just came on. I continued to struggle while accelerating and then I came to a stop and my engine died. My battery, danger, and E-break light came on the dash. I was able to quickly restart the engine and make it to work (less then half a mile away at this point.)

Came out during my lunch to see if there was still a problem. I drove less then 100 yards and tried to accelerate but before i could get past 30-35 mph my car started to jump and sputter. I parked, said some obscenities and tried to restart the engine but this time it was not turning over. Took about 5-6 tries for it to turn over.

Got a jump. Still took 3 times to turn over and start.

Drove around, same problems.

Any help would be awesome, thanks.

Car starts and then dies Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi Carlos. Thanks for contacting us. There are a few things that might be causing these type of starting and engine running problems. The first and most obvious would be that the engine is not getting either enough fuel - or not the right ratio of fuel to air. This can be caused by a damaged fuel pump, clogged or worn out fuel filter, EGR valve, mass air flow sensor, damaged or dirty throttle body & fuel injectors. The other likelihood is that ignition system components, like spark plugs & wires, or ignition timing sensors are damaged or the electrical harness connected to them is loose or damaged itself. Since there are multiple possible sources of these symptoms, the best way to know for certain is to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an onsite inspection.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr