Q: failed emission test at Division of motor Vehicle

hi, I took my 2004 toyota corolla to the DMV , in the vehicle inspection report says check engine light failed, tampering: pass, visible smoke: pass, liquid leak: pass, indicator light: failed, Misc emissions: pass.

so i would assume with this test the catalytic converter is ok? the catalytic converter i visually see no holes no discoloration or leaks. that the reason the engine light turns on might be a faulty oxygen sensor . in the report it lists 3 codes p0420, p0133, p0171. in that order. can you please tell me what might be the problem? and an estimate of what might be the cost to fix it...thanks

Hey there. The three different Check Engine codes you mentioned (P0420, P0133, and P0171) would need to be diagnosed first to see why they are stored in computer memory. You will need the mechanic clear the codes and test them in order to have each addressed. With the Check Engine cleared, you should be able to pass the emissions test.

3. failed emission test at Division of motor Vehicle