Q: I have a 2017 Volkswagen Passat dome lights

asked by on August 19, 2017

I have a 2017 Volkswagen Passat. When I open the door, the dome lights come on and stay on. The only time they go off is when the car is in park and I lock it. Once unlocked they come on and stay on...even while driving. I checked all the doors to make sure they were closed. All the switches are in the right place. I tried the switch to turn the lights on when the doors are open, then switched it to the off position and nothing.

Electrical components are not working Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

There is usually a spring loaded switch in the door pillar. The switch contacts may be stuck closed even after you shut the door. If that is not the issue, and you were to request that a mechanic identify the cause, what the mechanic would do is measure voltage on the circuit, from the light "backward" to determine where power is entering the circuit when the circuit is actually supposed to be off. Another way of doing this is to start at the switch or switches which control power to the light. If the switch is in the off position and yet power leaves the switch, that means the switch contacts are stuck closed. On the other hand, if no power leaves the switch, yet the light is on, one has to find where in the circuit power is entering and traveling to the light. If you want the required diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an electrical circuit/component diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr