Q: Intermittent overdrive

In "Drive" the "overdrive" kicks in and out, in and out. Static on the radio at the same time. I suspect switch contacts in the shift lever. Overdrive works fine much of the time. It's an intermittent problem, as in poor contact somewhere. Car is a 1989 Nissan Pulsar NX-SE. works fine when the car is "cold" This only starts happening after the car is warmed up. Also Overdrive light on dash flashes at the same time. Austin

Hey there. This is most likely related to the transmission control module or one of the many different components that feed information to the module which controls many different functions of the transmission.

A faulty transmission control module may cause a delay in acceleration or an erratic shifting pattern. The transmission control module has various sensors such as vehicle speed sensors, wheel speed sensors, throttle position sensors, turbine speed sensor, and transmission fluid temperature sensors that all direct information to the module.

The control module then uses this information to direct the transmission to perform certain functions. Other components controlled by the TCM are components such as a kick down switch, overdrive switch, traction control system, and cruise control module.

If you need a more precise diagnosis, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the Overdrive Light and follow through with repairs.

3. Intermittent overdrive