Q: When nearing low fuel, car will lose acceleration power, wheel will lock as well. Battery & Shift icon come on, has a few CEL's on

asked by on September 27, 2017

My car, when low on gas, will lock up after first starting and accelerating. Gas pedal does not work, and power steering locks up. Power remains on, and my battery & transmission shift light come on. Check Engine light has been on for a while, and gas mileage has been very poor lately. Does not want to accelerate to high speeds quickly, struggles with that. RPM's jump around when idling. Check English Light Codes: PO172, PO139, PO101, PO130, PO129. Can't find answers online, and do not have a maintenance record. Thank you!

Fuel Pump Replacement $129.49 - $1235.95 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. There is one major issue that is likely causing everything else you are experiencing. This is your fuel system. You need to start by checking and/or replacing your fuel pump. When it gets low, it may be sucking up debris from the fuel tank or simply malfunctioning. Either way, the lack of fuel seizes up your pedal, which in turn causes the engine to loose power. This in turn causes everything driven by your drive belts and powered by the engine to malfunction, including your power steering, alternator, and battery. For more help with testing, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr