Q: Engine will not turn over with FOB, electrical is working, but no dinging and starter doesn't click.

asked by on December 05, 2016

No. It is a long story. Water pump went out. Replaced it. Radiator fan stopped working next day. Short in wiring harness somewhere. Guy at autozone said to try to bypass with a fuse and kill switch off of battery. Did that but the wire he sold me was 18 gauge and burnt up... so I wired it into the actual harness. Then the car wouldn't turn over. On the WIN module a little wire was fried. Went to a pick and pull got a new pigtail spliced the ten wires together, hooked into win module now the vehicle still wont turn over. Electrical works but the starter doesn't even click. Thinking that either the used pigtail or the singed wire did something to reset the module and it isn't recognizing my fob or it the win needs to be replaced, or both win and fob need to be reprogrammed? I am going to double check the fuse box to see if I am getting any return from anything regarding starting the vehicle, but because the the vehicle electrical does turn on just nothing from anything relating to starting the vehicle I am leaning towards something wrong with FOB or WIN. Any ideas?

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Possibly when the switch was installed in line with the fan, the circuit now has too much resistance and the computer has cut out the ignition circuit to keep the engine from starting to prevent it from overheating due to the fan not working. I recommend repairing the fan correctly and then the key fob should work again. You may have to disconnect the battery and hook it up to clear the memory on the computer before the engine will start again. If you need further assistance with your key fob not starting the engine, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.