Q: is this a symptom of a bad range sensor?

When I put my car in Reverse, there are no backup lights. Car goes into gear, and moves backward, goes into neutral, and its on a slight hill so it rolls forward, goes back into reverse and backs up. Neutral, Reverse, neutral, reverse, etc. Talked to several transmission mechanics and Chrysler dealer just over the phone, and they said it is not a range sensor symptom. However, found a guy with similar symptoms and replacing hid range sensor fixed his car. Also found literature online that says this is a symptom of a bad range sensor. So some say it is, and some say it isn't. Help!

A: Hi there. The description you have given, l...

Hi there. The description you have given, leads me to believe you have a combination of faults. Assuming you have already checked the basics (back-up light bulbs are good), (the fuse is good for the back-up lights). A circuit test needs to be done to confirm no power supplied by the back-up light switch to the light bulbs while in reverse. This can be done, key on engine off, parking brake set. The vehicle dropping out reverse into neutral could be a range sensor issue. A scanner capable of reading the transmission range sensor would be required to identify whether the transmission control module is being commanded to neutral. Low transmission fluid pressure in reverse could an issue. Replacing parts without confirming the diagnoses could be expensive and not fix the problem. I recommend the transmission range sensor be inspected by a certified technician from YourMechanic.