Q: Can I drive my car with a dead/low key fob?

I got in my truck to drive and it said that key fob 2 battery was low, my question is will I be okay to drive it? Does my truck need this key fob to be able to operate and drive? Or is it a bigger issue within my car? I have a key and it's not keyless entry or anything like that. Can I just go about my business with a dead remote?

A: Hey there. Most vehicles with a FOB remote ...

Hey there. Most vehicles with a FOB remote made prior to 2009 have a physical key that operates the ignition sequence and can unlock doors manually. The FOB is a convenience as opposed to a needed item. If you had a keyless or push button starter, the FOB is vital to operation of the vehicle, and would need to a replacement battery before it completely drained. You should be fine to drive the vehicle without the remote functions working on your key chain, however, it’s always a good idea to keep that charged - just in case you need it for convenience sake.