Q: Intermittent steering wheel shaking

When I drive the car at 40-55 mph speed range, there is a vibration in the steering wheel. The shaking comes and goes. I had the tires replaced. The previous tires were high performance ones. The new tires I put on are all-season tires. I've had the same problem with both type of tires. The tires are balanced but the shaking is still noticeable intermittently. What might be the cause of this?

It sounds to me like the wheels are out of balance. This may be because of a bent rim, or simply because the wheels weren’t balanced properly when you had the tires replaced. Most tire and wheel imbalance problems make themselves evident between 45 and 50 mph. I suggest you have a professional technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect your vehicle’s steering wheel issue firsthand to determine if my theory is correct. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls.

3. Intermittent steering wheel shaking