Q: I had a new rear brake sensor installed. The braking lights still come on intermittently.

The dealer wants to do another scan. What should I be wary of? These scans ain't cheap.

Check all of the sensors and switches on the brake system and make sure all of them are connected properly. Make sure that all of the connections are clean and have no bent or broken pins. The brake warning light could be coming on for the service brakes or the parking brake. The service brakes will have the brake light switch on the brake pedal that will make the light come on if the switch is not working properly. The sensor on the hand brake handle for the parking brake will set the light if the sensor is not plugged in all the way or if the sensor is not installed correctly. If you need further assistance with your warning lights on, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. I had a new rear brake sensor installed. The braking lights still come on intermittently.