My belt snapped and Bmw says there's possibilities that's...

Q: My belt snapped and Bmw says there's possibilities that's peices of the belt got caught in the crank and is now in my oil pan gask

asked by on July 13, 2017

I was driving home and my serpentine belt popped. The steering wheel got hard so I pulled and opened the hood and that's when I realized it popped . I took it out and called a towing company. I dropped it at Bmw and they told me that it would cost 4000 to fix my problem . They said there's a chance that my part of the serpentine belt got sucked into the engine and this can blow my engine . I'm very sketchy about this Bmw location because they always love over charging me and say a bunch of things is wrong with my car . I need another opinion

Hi There, It is very unlikely that the serpentine belt would have made its way into the motor as they generally do not come apart that way, however it is no impossible. There is a pulley on on the end of the crankshaft and a rubber seal in between the two. If the belt were to be frayed enough at high speed, it is possible that it could have become wrapped around the crankshaft and sucked into the crank seal causing some serious damage, however this is very unlikely. There have been instances of this happening on BMW’s before. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle and provide a second opinion. I would also suggest checking to see if this is something that may be covered under warranty.