Q: What will I need to change my fpr on my 96 Chevy Silverado 5.7 liter? I appreciate any advice and understand if you don't want to

asked by on April 30, 2017

I was wondering if you could possibly provide me with details on what I need to replace my fuel pressure regulator myself. Like tools parts and a rough estimate on how long it should take. I appreciate any help you are willing to give thanks. Donnie Boatman

It takes a mechanic about 2 hours. The main thing you have to keep in mind is gasoline is flammable and the vapors can accumulate and explode. You have to be mindful of even your shop light, and static electricity, because those can provide an ignition source. Basically, disconnect the negative battery cable. Relieve fuel system pressure. Disconnect the ignition coil. Remove the upper intake manifold. Disconnect the vacuum line to the regulator. Remove the snap ring from the regulator housing. Place a towel under the regulator to absorb any spilled fuel and remove the pressure regulator from the fuel rail socket. Remove the pressure regulator from the fuel rail. Remove the pressure regulator O-ring filter, O-ring backup and O-ring and discard all.

To install: Before installing the O-rings, lubricate them with clean engine oil and install them on the regulator inlet as a complete assembly. Install the snap ring retainer into the slot on the regulator housing. Connect the vacuum line to the regulator. Ensure that the retainer is properly seated in the slot in the regulator housing. Pull on the regulator to make sure that it is properly seated. Connect the negative battery cable. Turn the ignition ON for 2 seconds and then turn it OFF for 10 seconds. Again turn the ignition ON and CHECK FOR LEAKS. The allowed leakage is ZERO. One drop of fuel is a large leak and will cause an engine fire. Install the manifold plenum.

If you desire that a certified mechanic from YourMechanic handle this, please request fuel pressure regulator replacement. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.